Thursday, January 10, 2013

Com-PLEX-ities (part 2)

Okay.  So, you've managed to setup your photo (and possibly video and music) library in Plex.  Awesome!  Now let's add some channels.  If you've used Roku before, you understand the concept of channels.  Plex is similar, in that it allows you to add channels to it's directory.  These channels will not be added to your Roku, but will be available to watch through your Plex channel on your Roku.  Sure hope that made sense.

If you haven't used Roku before...don't worry...things should make sense by the end of this post.  Umm...I hope.  ;)

Since I already have my channels added to Plex, I'm not positive what you will be seeing on a fresh install.  This version of Plex Media Server is different than what I originally downloaded...there have been a lot of updates!  Which is a good thing!!

If your browser is still open to Plex, click on the Home icon (upper left corner).
If not, re-open Plex, using the right click method discussed in part one (that little icon in the bottom right of your computer screen..remember?)

Once the page opens, click on "Directory"

This will send you to a list of available Plex channels.  
With the default choice being "Featured."
But there are several choices you can make here (including New, Popular & Categories).

I would suggest skimming through "Most Popular" and "Categories."
Under "Categories" you will find options like "TV" and "Video."  Which will lead to channels like NBC, CBS, and YouTube.

Choose a channel you want, and click on it.
You will get a popup with a small channel description, and an "install" button.

Now that you've installed a channel (or more), click on "My Channels."
You will see that your channel has been added.

And if you want to uninstall a channel, just mouse over the specific channel (in "My Channels"), and you will see an uninstall icon option appear.




My personal recommendations are...
Any major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc)
USA (Not very many major cable networks available anymore)
YouTube & Hulu

I like that I can watch YouTube on my tv, and that I can catch an occasional TV show, that I maybe missed.  If a network is unavailable to add, or doesn't have much on their Plex channel, sometimes you can find it on Hulu.  Plex allows you to watch Hulu basic, rather than having to pay for Hulu+.

  Look around...try some channels.  If you don't like them...you can uninstall them.
I love it!

Now all that's left to do, is install Plex on your Roku.  You can find the Plex channel in the Roku channel store.  You may have to sign in, once it's installed...I'm not sure. 

**Again...in order for Plex to work w/Roku, you must have Plex Server installed and running on your computer)** 


No comments:

Post a Comment